Power failure at the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant

A Russian-appointed official in the part of Ukraine’s Zaporizhya region it controls said on Monday that the Zaporizhya nuclear power plant had gone into standby mode and was running backup electricity generators.

Vladimir Rogov added that the station was “completely” disconnected from any outside power supply after Ukraine disconnected the power line it controls.

Anatoly Kortev, secretary of the city council of Zaporizhia in Ukraine, said work had been underway since the early hours of Monday morning to restore electricity to the city.

He went on to say that electricity “was partially cut off in Zaporizhia due to an emergency situation at one of the electrical installations”.

In recent weeks, Russian forces have strengthened their defensive positions in and around the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant in the south of the country, ahead of an expected counterattack in the region.

Russian forces have had firing positions above some of the nuclear power plant buildings for months.

Zaporizhia nuclear power plant

The station is located on the outskirts of the city of Energodar in southeastern Ukraine. The power plant has been designed since the times of the former Soviet Union and its construction started in 1980. The power plant contains 6 reactors called “hydro-hydro-power VVIR-1000V-320 reactors”. The reactors are cooled with water and their neutrons are also quenched with water. They operate with uranium 235, whose radioactive period is estimated at more than 700 million years. Its sixth reactor was commissioned in 1995. It is the largest in Europe and one of the 10 largest power stations in the world. Each of Zaporizhia’s six units has a net capacity of 950 MW, or a total of 5.7 GW covering 20% ​​of Ukraine’s electricity consumption.

Read the Latest World News Today on The Eastern Herald.

More

Ukrainian Former parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Lviv — Former Ukrainian parliamentary speaker and leading Euromaidan...

Russian forces claim capture of Komyshuvakha village in Donbass

Russian forces announced on Friday that they have seized...

Hungary says EU’s Ukraine policy has cost the country over €22.5 billion

Budapest — Hungary’s government said that the Ukraine conflict...
Show your support if you like our work.

Author

Arab Desk
Arab Desk
The Eastern Herald’s Arab Desk validates the stories published under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Editor's Picks

Trending Stories

Discover more from The Eastern Herald

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading