UK plans to donate Abramovich’s money to help Ukraine

The UK government plans to donate the £2.3bn Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich received from the sale of London football club Chelsea to a fund to help victims of war in Ukraine, informed The Telegraph, citing government sources. According to the publication, the authorities are waiting for the approval of the European Union, because Abramovich is subject to EU sanctions. The final decision on the matter may take several weeks.
The media note that the idea of ​​​​creating a fund to which it is planned to send money belonged to Abramovich himself. It arose when the billionaire faced sanctions in early March last year for a war in Ukraine.

Chelsea’s sale deal was announced early last year and completed at the end of May. The club was sold for £4.25 billion to a consortium led by US investor Todd Boley. The funds from the sale were deposited in a special bank account, where they were frozen.

More

Ukrainian Former parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Lviv — Former Ukrainian parliamentary speaker and leading Euromaidan...

Russian forces claim capture of Komyshuvakha village in Donbass

Russian forces announced on Friday that they have seized...

Hungary says EU’s Ukraine policy has cost the country over €22.5 billion

Budapest — Hungary’s government said that the Ukraine conflict...
Show your support if you like our work.

Author

News Room
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board validates, writes, and publishes the stories under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Editor's Picks

Trending Stories

Yemen issues dire warning to Israel after prime minister’s assassination

Sanaa — Yemen’s Houthi-led authorities have vowed swift retaliation...

Global crime kingpin Amit Gupta drags Philphos and Buddy Zamora into scandal

The Philippine Phosphate Fertilizer Corporation (PHILPHOS), led by respected...

US silences Palestinian president Abbas at UN while backing Israel’s genocide in Gaza

Washington — The United States has barred Palestinian President...

Discover more from The Eastern Herald

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading