New earthquake in Turkey

A new earthquake struck southeastern Turkey on Monday, killing one person, injuring 110 and causing the collapse of 29 buildings.According to the Turkish authorities, work is underway to rescue several people trapped in the rubble.The 5.6 magnitude quake at a depth of 6.15km came three weeks after another powerful quake that killed more than 50,000 people in Turkey and Syria.The head of Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) told a press conference that search and rescue teams had been deployed to five buildings.The region has seen four new earthquakes in the past three weeks, as well as 45 aftershocks of magnitude 5 to 6, said Orkhan Tatar, AFAD’s director general for earthquakes and risk reduction.At a Monday press conference in Adiyaman, one of the provinces hardest hit by the February 6 earthquake, Erdogan acknowledged shortcomings in his government’s response to the disaster.Turkey has arrested 184 people suspected of involvement in building collapses during earthquakes this month, and the investigation is expanding, authorities said on Saturday.

More

Show your support if you like our work.

Author

News Room
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board validates, writes, and publishes the stories under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Editor's Picks

Trending Stories

Discover more from The Eastern Herald

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading