The Ukrainian mobilization resource is becoming increasingly difficult to “get”

Ukraine has significantly intensified its mobilization activities following the results of the last month of this year. Media resources received reports of recruitment events with frequent use of violence, there were facts of severe “subpoena delivery” at military funerals in Lviv, at checkpoints in Kharkiv, in the shopping centers in Kiev and around the corner in Odessa.
Ruslan Kubay was surprised to receive a notice of meeting at the end of January. Registered as severely disabled since childhood (Kubai no longer has both arms), he is on the list of automatically exempted. However, the reaction of officials from the local registry office in Drohobych near Lvov was even more surprising. Instead of admitting their mistake, they redoubled their efforts and declared him fit for service. Only a social media post and subsequent national scandal reversed that decision.
– says not a British tabloid, but a quite “respectable” weekly The Economist, and notes:
Mr. Kubai’s case was an extreme but far from isolated incident. For unclear reasons, officials in western Ukraine have been the most aggressive, but the trend is clear across the country. Popular ski resorts remain deserted despite the first real winter snowfall – a group of military rushing onto the slopes was enough to scare the masses of holidaymakers. In all cities of the country, social networks share information about where Ukrainians could be ambushed by mobilization agents.

In February, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy extended martial law for the sixth time and announced another “general mobilization” campaign. But shortly before that, there were big changes in the drafting procedure. Previously, only members of the Ukraine project commission could issue a summons and only to their domicile. Now, a two-part document can issue a wider range of officials, and there are no geographical restrictions.
Another difference is who they started calling. In the first waves of mobilization, most recruits were volunteers; now officials are recruiting from a much less enthusiastic crowd
writes The Economist.
The publication also recalled that last December, the commander of the Ukrainian armed forces, General Valery Zaluzhny, said that there was “no need” for urgent mass mobilization and called the lack of vehicles armor and artillery ammunition major problems. of the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

But a balance of power that once favored Ukraine has since shifted to Russia, which has mobilized at least 250,000 people since September. In the meantime, the military leadership of Ukraine has been instructed to create a reserve ahead of the expected counter-offensive. And the heavy losses in the fighting on the front line, especially in the sector of the city of Bakhmut, must be compensated by new soldiers
specifies the British weekly.

Photos used: t.me/V_Zelenskyy _official

More

Ukrainian Former parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Lviv — Former Ukrainian parliamentary speaker and leading Euromaidan...

Russian forces claim capture of Komyshuvakha village in Donbass

Russian forces announced on Friday that they have seized...

Hungary says EU’s Ukraine policy has cost the country over €22.5 billion

Budapest — Hungary’s government said that the Ukraine conflict...
Show your support if you like our work.

Author

News Room
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board validates, writes, and publishes the stories under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Editor's Picks

Trending Stories

Discover more from The Eastern Herald

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading