JOHANNESBURG — When Australia touched down in South Africa for the first time since 2018, their kit bags carried something heavier than cricket equipment. Fourteen months after Aiden Markram played what many were calling the most complete Test innings seen at Lord’s in a decade, Pat Cummins’s side returns to South African soil carrying a deficit that no amount of bilateral cricket can fully erase: the World Test Championship title that slipped away in five days of controlled, unhurried batting.
The ODI series begins at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on September 24. Three Tests follow across October, starting at Kingsmead before moving to Dafabet St George’s Park in Gqeberha and ending where the last great Australia-South Africa controversy began — World Sports Betting Newlands Cricket Ground in Cape Town. The ICC’s official schedule announcement confirmed all six fixtures in February 2026.
Peter Roach, Cricket Australia’s head of operations, put the stakes plainly in Cricket Australia’s official tour confirmation. “South Africa has enjoyed excellent recent form in all formats,” Roach said, “and the clash between the teams that contested the last World Test Championship final will be particularly compelling.” Cricket South Africa chief executive Pholetsi Moseki framed it differently but no less directly: “These tours will undoubtedly draw fans from across the country to our stadiums.”
Cummins, speaking before the squad’s departure, said the group has spent months thinking about Lord’s. He was careful not to paint a target on the Test series that way, but when asked whether the South Africa vs Australia WTC Final shapes how his team approaches this tour, he paused longer than usual. “You want to use everything,” he said. “We were beaten by a better side on the day.”
That day ran for five of them. South Africa chased down 282 at Lord’s in June 2025, Markram anchoring six hours and twenty-three minutes at the crease before the winning runs were struck. Temba Bavuma batted on a hamstring that his coach later admitted had been borderline for three of those five days. Their 147-run partnership dismantled an Australian bowling attack that had looked, on the morning of day four, entirely capable of defending what it had. It did not.
The question for this series, at least in the Tests, is whether South Africa can repeat that kind of batting resolve on home pitches that behave quite differently from the flatter Lord’s surface they exploited. Kingsmead has been used in recent seasons as a seam-friendly venue; Newlands has its own set of variables that Australia experienced in 2018 under circumstances they would prefer not to revisit.
That 2018 tour ended in the Sandpaper Affair, a ball-tampering scandal that cost three players their contracts and threw Australian cricket into a period of institutional review that lasted years. South Africa won that series 3-1. The team that arrives in 2026 is different — David Warner has retired — but those who were there at Newlands in 2018, including Cummins, Mitchell Starc, and Nathan Lyon, carry the institutional weight of what happened even when they would rather not. Cummins has spoken about the need to separate the record of a previous generation from what this squad represents. The crowd will make that harder.
South Africa’s white-ball form heading into this series also matters. In August 2025, in Australia, they took the ODI series 2-1 — Keshav Maharaj collecting five for 33 in the decisive match, Lungi Ngidi following with five for 42. Australia won the T20I series that same month 2-1, but the ODI result offered a cleaner test of how these sides are currently constituted across fifty overs.
The three ODIs — Durban on September 24, Johannesburg on September 27, Potchefstroom on September 30 — precede the Tests by more than a week. A two-day tour match in Potchefstroom on October 3 and 4 provides the only red-ball preparation before Kingsmead, giving Australia’s batters one chance at match conditions before the series begins in earnest.
For the World Test Championship standings, the October matches matter most. Australia sit at approximately 77.78 percent in the current WTC cycle, a figure that slipped slightly after a Bangladesh Test surprise in Darwin earlier this month. South Africa are close behind at roughly 75 percent. Three Tests on South African soil, carrying the full twelve points per match, represent a substantial share of the calculation that will determine who returns to Lord’s in 2027.
Kagiso Rabada has missed significant match time this year through injury but is expected to lead the South African attack across the Tests. His performance at Kingsmead — where the surface has historically offered the kind of early movement that suits him — could determine the series result as much as any batting display. South African team management confirmed his fitness has been carefully managed since April and expect him available for all three matches.

Australia have Josh Hazlewood back from shoulder rehabilitation and Scott Boland continuing a run of consistency that has made him arguably the most reliable new-ball bowler in Cummins’s attack since the 2023 Ashes. Their batting depth looks more settled than it did entering the Border-Gavaskar Test series, with Travis Head’s form carrying over from 629 runs across five Tests against India in 2024-25.
The schedule compresses an entire rivalry into five weeks. Three Tests, three South African cities, three surfaces that have all produced different kinds of ruin for visiting batting orders. What happens at Kingsmead in October will not settle what Lord’s started. It will only make the question harder to ignore.
That gap, as of June 2025, was five wickets. Whether it has grown or shrunk is the question neither team can answer yet.

