LONDON — The two children whose arrival scrambled the British tabloid industry have school places booked for September. That single, concrete detail cuts through everything else in a situation that still moves at the tempo of royal ambiguity: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, are returning to the United Kingdom later this month, after more than six years in California.
Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, will begin at a British school when term opens in September. Their parents will settle at a private, non-royal residence outside London, ending what began in January 2020 as a managed retreat from royal life and became, in the years that followed, something considerably less managed. Anadolu Agency confirmed the move after a report first published Wednesday by People magazine.
King Charles was told of the decision on Sunday. The nature of that conversation has not been described by either side, which carries its own information: in this family, the silence around a disclosure tends to communicate as much as the disclosure itself.
The British prime minister offered a formulation that the government appeared to have settled on before reporters asked for one. “It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making,” Andy Burnham said. On the persistent question of taxpayer-funded police protection, a legal dispute Harry lost in 2024 when courts rejected his challenge to the diminished security status assigned to his family after they stepped back from royal duties, Burnham described the matter as “private for the Sussexes.” The phrase does not answer the question. It declines to.
No plans exist for Harry or Meghan to resume working royal roles. They are returning to Britain as private individuals, not as members of the active royal household, a distinction already operative since 2021, when Buckingham Palace formally confirmed their departure from working royal status. The question is whether “private individuals” means what the phrase normally means, or something qualified by the unique exposure that follows this family into any country where they live.
What is visible in the timeline is that in July 2026, Harry and Meghan visited King Charles, the first publicly acknowledged meeting between Harry and his father in years. CBS News reported that the royal family, including Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, were informed of the move decision before it became public. What the July visit contained, whatever understandings were reached or not reached, has not been described by anyone present.
The residence where they intend to settle has not been publicly identified. Frogmore Cottage, the Windsor property that served as their UK base before 2023, is no longer available to them; the King requested it back following the publication of Harry’s memoir. The new arrangement involves a private, non-royal property outside London. Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, who was part of the Sussex household in Montecito, California, is not relocating with them to Britain, according to TMZ, which first reported that detail.
The couple’s original departure came with a statement in January 2020 that described their plan as “geographic balance” and “the space to focus on the next chapter.” That statement included a phrase about wanting to raise their son, Archie, the only Sussex child at that point, “with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born.” He is now seven, and what he has appreciated so far about that tradition has been filtered mostly through other people’s accounts of it.
The security gap is the most practical unresolved question. Harry’s 2024 legal defeat established that the UK’s executive committee on protective security is not required to extend the same protection level he would have held as a senior working royal. When the family was visiting on discrete occasions, this meant private security arrangements for those specific trips. When the family is resident in Britain, the calculus changes. Andy Burnham’s formulation offered no indication of what that calculus now produces.

Anadolu Agency reported that the couple intends to establish themselves in a private household outside London’s formal royal geography. Their son Archie and daughter Lilibet, who have spent their childhoods in California, shielded from the British press with a degree of success that varied, will enter a British school system in September, which means routines, uniforms, other children’s parents, and a daily rhythm that is not Montecito.
Among the markers of how the extended royal family continues navigating its relationship with the institution, Princess Eugenie named her newborn daughter Adelaide Elizabeth Annina earlier this month, honoring Queen Elizabeth II and the couple’s life in Portugal. That announcement came via Instagram, consistent with a pattern across the younger generation of the family.
What the Harry and Meghan return does not resolve is the question at the center of the last six years: what the relationship between this couple and the institution they left actually looks like from the inside. The public record contains a memoir, an Oprah interview, a Netflix documentary series, and a security lawsuit. It does not contain a description of what the July meeting with King Charles was like, or what made late August 2026 the moment. September school enrollment sets a deadline. Everything before the enrollment remains uncharacterized.

